Image Map

Monday, June 24, 2013

What Time Is It? Craft Fail Time!

It's that time again! Linking up with the one and only Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It!


I was so proud of myself this week! I started my Monday Made It crafting on Friday! Yes, Friday! For those of you who are new, this was a HUGE deal! I usually start on Sunday night or even Monday morning if I'm feeling extra slackerish. HOWEVER...just because I started my crafting early, does NOT mean that I was successful as evident below...

Here are the two projects that I had on my plate for this week: 
1. Create 2 scrapbook paper clip boards. 
2. Corn syrup paintings. 

Here's how it went down:
1. First clipboard was a disaster so I didn't dare waste clipboard #2.
2. Paintings never finished drying so will have to be shared later this week. 

Since I can't leave you all hanging,  let me share the lovely dilemma of the scrapbook paper clipboard to you all! 

Don't let initial looks fool you! This clipboard was a disaster! 

Didn't even put my blog link on this pic because I don't even want to be associated with it!

When making my clipboard, I couldn't decide on the scrapbook paper combos. I see the ones online with a variety of different designs and I love them. However, when I try and put some together myself, I end up hating it all. This was a sign that I should have just jumped ship then but no I kept on going until the Titanic hit the iceberg and sank.

I ended up selecting a fun yellow pattern and then 2 strips of a new pattern to accent. However, after I had modge podged the yellow background and 2 strips on, I realized that I modge podged the clip down. So, I pried that open and then realized the sticky mess I had on my hands. I got a face cloth and tried to wash off the modge podge from the clip. However, in doing so, the water ended up washing away the scrapbook paper leaving a big hole. So then I was forced to add an unwanted strip of paper at the top to cover the hole. I then used my toothpaste (don't ask me why I chose that random object) to put under the clip and hold it up so the modge podge could dry without the clip sticking again. However, when I removed the toothpaste, it had been sealed to the scrapbook paper as well and left another tear. Then I had to cover this patch as well. In addition, after adding all these cardstock strips, I realized they were thick and raised and would make writing on the clipboard a disaster. Finally, the edges of the clipboard were not working for me and the modge podge just was left looking all streaky bumpy. I had planned on adding my name to the bottom of the clip board however I wasn't wasting those stickers on this mess! All in all, this clipboard is unusable and just a big headache.

So what did I learn from this experience? 

First, I need Teeny to come tell this story because she makes all disaster stories amazingly hilarious!  

Second, I have come to the conclusion that Modge Podge and I just are not meant to be together on any level. We can't even be acquaintances. Nope, Modge Podge and I have gotten a divorce. We, are never ever ever, getting back together. (Taylor Swift reference anyone???)

Third, I'm clearly keeping the title of Queen of the Craft Fail! It's way better than Miss America I tell you! Be jealous! 

Have no fear though! While shopping at Target, I found these...


They are washi tape sheets! My best friend just got even better! This is what I plan on using for clipboard #2 next week for Monday Made It. Come back then and see if it was a success or another horrible fail! I'm praying for success! Send good crafting vibes my way!

Now I'm off to stalk people who actually have crafting talent! Join me won't you?

17 comments:

  1. You're too funny! Love the T. Swift reference;) I have a love/hate with mod podge too:/ Sorry you had a hard time...I appreciate you linking up and sharing:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you shared this!!!

    Check out 4th grade flipper.. she made some and they are cute! NOT to rub it in though....
    I like the washi tape idea, can't wait to see how it turns out.

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me laugh - I despise mod podge.... Thanks for sharing!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this, I tried making some clipboards with paper and modge podge last summer - they turned out super bubbly and wrinkled - so disappoining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to use an old credit card/i.d. to flatten it out.

      Delete
  5. Okay, I checked out 4th Grade Flipper's and she must be a craft genius! I made these last year http://littlepiggyreads.blogspot.com/2012/07/test.html and it took me ALLLLLL Day long! I was shocked. I have 2 friends who are craft guru's and I'm going to have them come over next month and do a "make and take" because I get bored when I'm doing it on my own!

    Deniece

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe there is Mod-Podge Spray Paint. Maybe that could be the hero for your next mod-podge project? I love the T-Swift reference! You had me cracking up! I love your blog! Keep up the good work!

    Lil Bit Country In the Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are too funny girl! I made some of these a couple years ago but don't really remember how I did it. Haha. I need to look for that washi tape you found in sheets. It looks awesome.

    Amanda
    Mrs. Pauley's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to go to Target! I tried to do clipboards one time with pretty duct tape and it didn't go so well.

    ~Diving Into Learning

    ReplyDelete
  9. Modge Podge and I are not friends either. Let's form a club :)
    tania
    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  10. Washi Tape Sheets?!? How exciting. I fell in little bit more in love with washi tape this week and mentioned it in my Monday Made It. Thanks for giving me something new to look for. The morning radio show I listen to isolated the "Never Ever" from that song and play it when people say never. Now whenever I hear someone say never, that plays through my head so your comment made me laugh. Thanks,

    Mercedes
    Surfing to Success

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your disaster story was hilarious! No need to get Teeny to tell it. I can't wait to find out how the Washi Tape works. I'm a washi newbie but I hear amazing things. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cracking up over here! I remember my first clipboard was a combination of paint, paper, ribbon and flowers... You need to think of actually having space to USE the clipboard when you are creating. Lesson learned.

    Jennifer Smith-Sloane
    4mulaFun

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha I love your posts! I'm so glad that you share your craft fails, I know that I will be able to join you one week. I am sooo not a crafter! I tried a similar thing with duct tape on a clipboard. The last one is only half done because I ran out of tape! I still have it...not sure why. Good luck next week!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  14. Freaking hysterical! Although I don't think it looks bad???
    Good luck for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny! Found you through the linky! I loved your story! Can't wait to see your clipboard #2! I also can't wait to go to Target tomorrow!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're hilarious!! I'm glad to hear that others' pinterest projects fail too:)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover